Thank you for your interest in Launch Gloucester, which in 2015 awarded five businesses a combined value of $95,000 in goods, services, and start-up capital.
We sought after businesses which fit a specific niche and were willing to open a location along Main Street in the Gloucester Village. All business types were welcome, but niche businesses that fill a need in the Gloucester Village had an advantage in the first round of the program.
We welcomed start-ups, second locations and business expansions.
A list of possible business types and categories who were encouraged to apply in 2015 are listed in more detail below.
Must be 18 years of age.
Must be a US citizen or legally allowed to work in the United States.
Must be willing to setup their business on Main Street in Gloucester, Va.
Applicant will be full time proprietor of the business.
New or existing businesses can apply as long as you are willing to locate or expand on Main Street.
Business concept must fit into one of the defined niches listed below OR you must explain (on the application) why your concept is needed on Main Street.
Must be able to attend all 8 classroom sessions in the Gloucester Village unless an excused absence is granted by the Launch Gloucester committee for extenuating circumstances.
If you are awarded prize monies, you must be ready to open the business by September 30, 2015.
The idea or business concept must be the original work of the applicant.
The winning businesses will be tracked for three years to assess the success of the program. All winners will be required to provide business and financial information to the Main Street Preservation Trust on a quarterly basis.
The Community Business Launch organizing committee has the sole discretion to disqualify and/or remove any candidate for any reason that it deems appropriate before and/or during the program.
Confidentiality is not guaranteed in any way. Do not include confidential material in your submissions. There is no way for Community Business Launch or its Organizers to enforce a prohibition of other competitors, audience members, or judges who see and hear a pitch of competitor’s materials from sharing the idea and/or materials.
Non Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) between a competitor and the judges and/or audience members will not be required or allowed. Competitors may exclude any proprietary information or materials that the competitor feels is at risk of disclosure.
Sharing your idea or concept may be deemed a public disclosure, so if you are interested in filing a patent, you may need to consult with a patent attorney before entering the competition.
Community Business Launch or its Organizers are not responsible for any confidentiality issues that may occur during the course of the competition or classes and will not be involved in any way with disputes arising thereafter.
Authorization / Media Release
Community Business Launch or its Organizers may take photographs and/or video of any materials used or made available by pitching individuals or teams during the competition for public relations purposes. By applying to and/or participating in the Community Business Launch program, you authorize the public distribution and use of any photos or videos captured during the classes or competition. You also authorize the publication and distribution of submitted materials such as business descriptions and logos. This will be solely for promotional purposes.
Suggested Types of Niche and Specialty Businesses
RETAIL – We are looking for highly specialized retail concepts:
- Specialty Food Stores: These concepts should take into consideration the current businesses in this category and present a compelling concept that complements existing business. Priority will be given to these businesses that build in a social component. These businesses would be expected to be open until 6:30PM at least 5 days a week.
- Examples but not limited to these: Seafood Market, Bakery, Butcher Shop, Pre-prepared foods.
- Apparel Stores: These concepts should be creative and fill a niche not already filled on the Main Street. These businesses will be expected to stay open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Clothing Accessories & Jewelry: These concepts should be creative and fill a niche not already filled on the Main Street. These businesses will be expected to stay open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Sporting Goods Stores: These concepts should be creative and are encouraged to target a specific niche, not general. Example but not limited to these: Running Store, Physical Training, and Outdoor Recreation. These businesses will be expected to be open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Gift Stores: These concepts should be creative and fill a niche not already filled on Main Street. These businesses will be expected to be open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Furniture & Home Décor: These concepts should fill a niche not already filled in Gloucester County. This concept could incorporate other concepts within it but is expected to focus on quality merchandise. These businesses would be expected to be open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Pet Related Stores: Creative specialty retail for pets. This could include a dog groomer as well. Developing a social component from this concept would be desirable.
- Art Related Retail: These concepts should be related to the arts and fill a niche not already filled on the Main Street.
- Health & Beauty Concepts: These concepts should be creative and could include a retail component. Example but not limited to: day spas, personal care, and bath & body type retail. These businesses will be expected to be open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
- Computer Repair/Sales: This concept has the requirement of the applicant being APPLE certified for repair. This business will be expected to be open until 6:30PM 5 days a week.
*Don’t see your business type listed? Please still apply and show us why your concept is needed in the Gloucester Village!